A mini dictionary of job titles in the IT industry
If you are starting to read this, the first steps in the IT industry are probably behind you. You know what technologies you are an expert in, your state of knowledge is well-established and which way you will be going to develop even further. However, there is something that can introduce a bit of confusion in the mind especially in a young programmer, which is what is hidden under given industry terms. If you look through our mini dictionary, you will have no problem distinguishing the duties of a Full Stack Developer from a Front-End, and the corporate body will not be foreign-sounding, so that “fakap” is simply a crisis or failure of a case.
What about industry positions?
- Web Developer — responsible mainly for creating the website code in a specific programming language from the server side. It is mainly about the correct exchange of information between the website and visitors. WebDev is also responsible for the modification and development of existing solutions based on Frameworks, CMSs and CMFs, and most often they cooperate with UX specialists and Website Architects. People who want to work as WebDev will probably need not only technical skills, but also extensive experience and portfolio.
- Devops Engineer — it is basically a combination of two positions: development and operations, i.e. development and operations, which in practice means an accumulation of positions combining software development and maintenance of the environments in which they operate. DevOps, together with programmers and testers, administer the operating system, configure and maintain the development environment, and control the software version.
- Back-end Developer — a programmer holding this position must be fluent in one of the languages such as Java, .Net, C ++ or PHP. Its task is to code the website, application, system from the server side, create an API and organize communication with databases. Sometimes it may happen that the tasks of the front end and back end user overlap. If someone can do both of these jobs, it is possible that they will work as a Full Stack.
- Full Stack Developer — is a combination of a front- and back-end developer, his skills will allow you to code the system, server-side application in a specific technology, and will also take care of the appropriate interface visualization and user-side functions. Calling someone a Full Stac does not mean that they must be sensational in terms of front- and back-end, but they can 100% be able to build a product on their own.
- Software Architecture — This is the career ladder of a programmer. He is the employee ultimately responsible for all key technical decisions related to the product. His tasks will include choosing the technology, designing a solution, controlling the course of the entire project and quality of workmanship, or sharing his own knowledge with other employees. The architect as such does not deal with programming, but is responsible for the entire development team.
- Software Engineer — this engineer will deal with the analysis of the requirements of the ordered changes in the code, but also with the design, reading the ordered functions and creating the relevant documentation. The key role in this position is solution design and this is what sets it apart from a regular encoder.
- Analyst — his task is to closely cooperate with the client in terms of business, not technical. It has to collect all the necessary and even necessary functionalities from the client’s side, and then translate it into technical language and submit it to programmers.
- System Engineer — his task is to develop IT systems and networks and their implementation, and then administration, installation and modification of databases. This position also provides for the preparation of technical, test and subcontracting documentation of the performed task.
- Control Engineer/ Tester — his duty is to check the proper functioning of the system, software and to test IT hardware. The software test is linked to the entire manufacturing process. Software testing is not only about verifying the correct operation of the system, but also discovering errors, faults and their causes. The result of the tester’s work is the creation of an improved version or completely new software.
I hope that after reading this short list of professions in the IT industry, the headlines in job advertisements will not be one big unknown for you, but you must also bear in mind that in individual companies the scope of responsibilities and competences may vary.
If you like computer science, computer games and you are creative and you are looking for your own professional path, and you do not know exactly what you want to do and where to work, I will suggest that you become a game developer. This profession will give you a...
Do you want to learn how to become the perfect programmer and deserve full respect, both from colleagues and clients? Below are some valuable tips... Take responsibility for the code you have created — check it carefully before completing and returning the project....
Salesforce is a platform that is still a market niche in Poland, although it is gaining huge popularity among foreign companies. It is also a leader among CRM solutions, and the company itself was founded in 1999 and already employs thousands of employees, the income...