A few rules on how to be a professional in the programming profession
Do you want to learn how to become the perfect programmer and deserve full respect, both from colleagues and clients? Below are some valuable tips…
- Take responsibility for the code you have created — check it carefully before completing and returning the project. Only thanks to proper testing you will be sure that it is error-free, and manual testers will find nothing. Never send something that may not work, first of all, do not give your work without a test, even if you are running out of time to complete the order, because it is not very professional. Honestly tell the client why the delay will occur, and the company you worked for will not pay for the errors. Be responsible for the entire project, if you find a bug in one module, please report it. Make sure the code is flexible and easy to modify.
- Keep your word — specify the date when you will deliver the selected order. If you have doubts about the date, it is better to enter a more distant one than the one you cannot meet. If, however, the deadline could not be met, inform the client about the problems as soon as possible. Try to mobilize the whole team to cooperate on the task in order to complete it as quickly and as best as possible. Avoid the word “try”, especially when you have doubts about the timing of the order, even if your manager insists on it, because at best it will end up overtime, and at worst, a defective product will be released, and your company will suffer because of it. Two of the wrongs are, suggest that the scope of work be limited, if it is not possible to postpone the commissioning. Only in this way will you be seen as a professional.
- Collaborate with the whole team — if you need help from others, ask for it, and if someone needs your support, give it. If you have already completed your own tasks, ask if anyone on the team needs your help. Remember that the band is a monolith, you all work for mutual success and no one should stand out from the rest. Only close cooperation will ensure the team’s success in the form of a ready-made application delivered to the customer on time.
- Take care of full concentration during the hours when you are working — each of us has a strictly defined time of focus at work, and either use it to the full or waste it on something completely different from the scheduled day plan. There are different methods of improving your concentration at work, but first learn not to waste your time. If your thoughts are still on the mundane, such as rubbing the paintwork in the car, a quarrel with a loved one or unfinished homework, let’s spend, say, an hour to put everything in order and sit down to work with an orderly head. Anything on your mind will make you write a lot of code, but it turns out to be completely worthless. Also, don’t sit down to write a program when you are tired, professionalism also requires proper work discipline, not sitting over the keyboard from morning to night. What can raise your state of concentration? Reading a great book, meeting friends, exercising outdoors is something that allows our mind to regenerate and stimulate creativity in action. If, despite this, you still feel completely empty in your head and despite the passage of hours you have not been able to write a single line of code, offer someone to write together. And the most important thing is to give your body the right dose of sleep, because without it, it is difficult to talk about any concentration and efficiency.
- Grow — it is very important, this is what the IT industry requires. If you yourself expect professionalism from others, you have to start with yourself. During work, it is difficult to find time to improve your own qualifications, here rather you have to rely on the knowledge already acquired. You are responsible for your own development, not your employer. Although there are bosses who organize employee training, it is not their duty. The fact is that in your work you will learn a lot by solving various problems, you will also learn about new technologies that you have not dealt with and which you have just met on a new project. In order for you to be perceived as a specialist in what you do, you will be looking for specific solutions yourself, and you will not wait for a ready-made product from colleagues with more experience. Therefore, to earn the title of a professional, you need to train yourself, keep up to date with news and constantly develop yourself. Projects that are written using outdated technologies are quite comfortable work, but you lose the knowledge of what’s new because you do everything slower without using the latest libraries. Your personal development has stopped and you will probably also miss a promotion. You will become a senior in terms of seniority, but you will lag behind the knowledge of technology for at least 5 years and you and your employer will lose. Will you be fired? Probably not, because there is still a shortage of programmers on the market, but will you find a job in another company if necessary? So stay one step ahead and learn the latest things, introduce them to the projects you are working on. Respect your time — something still distracts you from work? Any employee training that you are completely not interested in or some of your colleagues invite you to play? Know that you do not have to agree to it and participate in everything. Learn to say no and respect your time, especially when you are on a winning streak, and you’re doing great writing a program. It doesn’t mean you have to be nice, just apologize and refuse or reschedule it to another time. However, always be there where your knowledge is necessary or where you can get something interesting for yourself.
- Respect your time — something still distracts you from work? Any employee training that you are completely not interested in or some of your colleagues invite you to play? Know that you do not have to agree to it and participate in everything. Learn to say no and respect your time, especially when you are on a winning streak, and you’re doing great writing a program. It doesn’t mean you have to be nice, just apologize and refuse or reschedule it to another time. However, always be there where your knowledge is necessary or where you can get something interesting for yourself.
I think these few tips will allow you to be fully satisfied with your work, and at the same time you will become more professional in what you do.
How to become a developer of computer games
If you like computer science, computer games and you are creative and you are looking for your own professional path, and you do not know exactly what you want to do and where to work, I will suggest that you become a game developer. This profession will give you a...
Salesforce as a sales power
Salesforce is a platform that is still a market niche in Poland, although it is gaining huge popularity among foreign companies. It is also a leader among CRM solutions, and the company itself was founded in 1999 and already employs thousands of employees, the income...
Technologies and professions of the future in IT
Future in IT? Today, clients are looking for specialists for their projects, which is why certain professions and employee competences are included in the price. Therefore, if you are at the stage of searching for new horizons, and you want to plan your future and...